What is Sustainable Living?
With the increase in population and limiting number of resources, sustainable living has become a necessity. A Sustainable way of living is a lifestyle which focuses on meeting our present social, economic and environmental needs without compromising the needs of the future generations. A self reliant promoting way of living can be applied to almost every part of the life. Its main aim is to reduce the use of the resources as much as possible and cause the minimum amount of environmental damage.
In order to follow a sustainable way of living, the first step should be the change in our diet. Our diet should not disturb the balance of the food chain. Being a vegetarian is the best step you can take, as plants are the base of a food chain and cause the minimum environmental damage.
Organic food should always be preferred as they don’t use any chemicals such as fertilizers or pesticides. If used, these chemicals can enter into our food chain and can pollute the environment. They can also cause health problems both in humans as well as animals.
In order to apply sustainability to the shelter, it is important to adopt eco-friendly and renewable resources to build our home. It should be in a location, which will minimize the need of transportation. The house can be built from adobe, bamboo, hemp, recycled stones or bricks. Construct the home which utilizes as low energy as possible.
The major stress should be on utilizing the sustainable sources of energy. Renewable sources of energy such as geothermal energy, water, wind or solar energy should be utilized. Solar panel, solar cookers are commonly used.
It is important to live sustainably and in harmony with people and environment. There are certain principles which are important for sustainable living. List of such principles are given below:
- It is very important to understand that all the components of the biosphere are interdependent and future generations will be affected by the way we are utilizing the present resources.
- It should be our aim to minimize the depletion of non renewable resources by promoting the use of recycled products and using the renewable sources sustainably.
- Try to avoid toxic products and decrease the wastage.
- Try to find better and “green” options as they are easily available and affordable.
- Reduce, recycle and reuse.
- Try to go for the products which are locally available. This will reduce the energy costs, transportation costs and pollution.
It is very important to develop your self- reliant skills in order to live sustainably. If you are living in a self reliant sustainability, you are satisfied with your simple lifestyle with enough basic needs. A person who is self reliant develops the respect for the nature and human beings and as a result respects sustainable living.
The term permaculture is the result of combination of the word “permanent” and “agriculture”. Permaculture was created by an Australian ecologist Bill Mollison and later he and his student published a book called “Permaculture One” based on their observation of the natural systems. The core principles of permaculture are:
- Take Care of the Earth: According to this principle, our first priority should be to take care of the earth and protect it from any damage.
- Take Care of the People: According to this principle, people should have the provision to use the necessary resources but not at cost our ecosystem.
- Share the Surplus: According to this principle, humans should limit their needs according to the resources available.
Permaculture is basically a design which is used for creating sustainable ways of living. It is used for developing an ecologically efficient system which can be used by everyone, everywhere. Its principles and methods can be applied to flats, houses, commercial establishments, gardens, farms and even to the waste grounds.
Permaculture promotes self reliance and sustainable living. Its principles and designs are consistently being developed throughout the world in order to be used in different fields and areas.
Why sustainable living is important?
If we continue to use our natural resources at the present pace, our future generations will definitely need at least an extra planet to supply the resources to sustain the life on earth. Even technology would be useless if there is no power to operate it. So, it is very important to follow sustainable living in order to cause as little damage to the environment as possible.